Tips to Help Decrease Humidity in Your Home
Having a high level of humidity in your home can be absolutely brutal. Not only will everyone inside feel hot, sticky, and sweaty, it also means there is a very high chance of mold development in the hard-to-reach areas of your home. To help you foster a more relaxing, comfortable, and mold-free environment in your home, here are some tips to get humidity levels down to where they should be.
- Check for leaks in your walls and ceiling. Any leaks in your home could be letting in water, which would increase the humidity as well as moisture buildup. Have these areas repaired ASAP. One way of checking for them is to look for dried drip-trails or stains on the walls, as well as rusting or oxidization on metal fixtures.
- Place moisture-absorbing rice packets or desiccants in tight spaces and dark corners. This prevents moisture buildup and will halt any mold growth in its tracks.
- Keep your showers short. Warm showers are nice, but having particularly long ones can dramatically increase the humidity in your home. To lower the humidity, either take a hot bath keep your shower time to a minimum.
- Get a dehumidifier for your laundry room. Your laundry room is one of the biggest sources of humidity in your home, so a good practice is to always have a dehumidifier running in that room when you are using it. You can also place a dehumidifier in other areas in your home with increased levels of humidity. Just make sure to invest in a dependable model.
- Ensure proper ventilation in your home. One of the more cost-effective ways to decrease humidity levels in your home is to simply allow air to move more freely in and out of your home. To do this, simply open your windows and doors while also drawing back any curtains that you have. You can take this further by also turning on your electric fans as well as having exhaust fans installed in key areas of your home.
By following these tips, you can turn your home from a hot and humid sauna to a cool and dry place to relax. If that does not solve your humidity issues, contact Summit Services and we’ll get things straightened out in an efficient and professional manner. We have extensive experience in dehumidification, as well as air conditioning, heating, and other home improvement services. Call us at 843-508-8478 for a free estimate and efficient service in the Hilton Head, SC area.